Monday, April 11, 2011

Student. Social Worker. Savvy.

Hello!  I'm Ashlee, and I begin graduate school to be a social worker in September 2011.  Social workers aren't rated as the wealthiest professionals, since we do it for the love not the money!  But let's get real:  making little money isn't an excuse to live in debt, and working with the poor doesn't mean I have to be poor.  With remaining undergraduate debt accumulating graduate debt, I am determined to live frugally during my two-year academic program and for the five years following to eliminate all my student loan debt by age 30.  Is it possible?  Yes.  It is realistic?  I am going to make it so.

Like most young Americans I could benefit from a few more lessons on personal finance and frugal lifestyle to balance to messages of instant-gratification and consumerism I have been spoon-fed since infancy.  I accumulated a decent credit-card debt during my first two years of college (because of silly, unnecessary spending) and paid it off with earnings from a summer job (I won't give you the specific number, but it was a large portion of that salary).  I have lived paycheck-to-paycheck.  I have saved too little and spent too much.  I have frozen credit cards (and subsequently burnt them in the microwave-yeah, that's called a move of desperation, Folks).  And I have wondered where the cash went.  But there's hope!  For the past year, I have lived according to a (gasp!) budget and begun a savings plan.  It's been a little rocky, but I'm on my way with much to learn.  I confess this as encouragement:  If I can make a financial turnaround at 23, so can you!

Join me on my frugal adventure, as I learn and practice the basics (but profound necessities) of personal finance for young adults and frugality to create a foundation of financial freedom for life.  Yep, I'm going to include the nitty-gritty details.  Feel free to comment, suggest, question, and advise!  I'm out to learn as much as you all.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment