Saturday, April 23, 2011

Frugality and Ethics

Today we have seemingly endless choices in purchasing.  With the options comes consideration, and one of the hot-button questions is the local/organic/cruelty-free debate.  I've gone back and forth lots of times for a few years, and my opinion on this was largely determined by my financial situation at the time.  But now with no debt (aside from student loans), a steady job, and more awareness of the global economic and social situation around me, I've parked my consumer-self on the local/organic/cruelty-freed side. I've heard a lot of the arguments, and I agree with the following:  YES-it costs more, it can be a headache trying to procure some of these items, it might not make a difference in the big-picture of things.  But here are some reasons why I believe that going the "hippy love" route (or whatever you want to coin in sarcastically or affectionately) is both a financially-frugal and ethically-sound decision for me: (Keep in mind that a lot of these aspects are true in the overall and ideal sense of purchasing local/organic/vegan/cruelty-free)

1.  Shopping local decreases overhead costs (like transportation, market/trade prices, store mark-ups, chain rules, etc.) and supports the economy in Denver as well as small business-owners and entrepreneurs.  

2.  Buying certain organic goods (such as coffee, chocolate, etc.) promotes sound businesses practices abroad that protect and promote foreign workers.  Everyone benefits!

3.  Purchasing in this manner encourages ethical, straight-forward, and fair purchasing and market practices.

4.  The quality of this merchandise (especially in the area of food!) is higher, and I believe I am getting what I pay for.

5.  In terms of organic products, I know exactly what I am putting into myself and using, so I have a better idea of how my money is being spent.  I know I am purchasing something that could, in the long run, help me stay healthier and more fulfilled.

I believe that spending both time and money frugally promotes the well-being of ourselves and the public at-large.  By shopping local/organic/vegan/cruelty-freed, I am validating that belief.  And if frugality is about living wisely, I think that should impact the kind of things I buy.  As much as I want to save money, get the most "bang for my buck," and have convenient and splendid shopping experiences, I want to use my money well in a manner that doesn't violate my ethical and moral conscious.  And for me, going local/organic/vegan/cruelty-freed aligns with that value system, so it is worth the extra dollar.  Don't get me wrong; I don't always purchase these products in every area of my consumer life, but I am slowing phasing out the non-hippy stuff and bringing the hippy stuff in :)  Call me a yuppy or a trendist, whatevs, I'm okay with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment